I. adjective 1. occurring once every year • the sponsored walk became an annual event
• an annual report.
2. calculated over or covering a period of a year • an annual rate of increase
• his basic annual income.
3. (of a plant) living only for a year or less, perpetuating itself by seed. • annual weeds.
Compare with biennial, perennial.
II. noun 1. a book or magazine that is published once a year under the same title but with different contents. • a Christmas annual.
• trade journals, annuals, and directories.
2. an annual plant. • sow annuals in spring.
– origin late Middle English: from Old French annuel, from late Latin annualis, based on Latin annus ‘year’.