I. pronoun — [usu. with negative or in questions]
1. used to refer to a thing, no matter what
2. [without negative] — used for emphasis
• nobody was saying anything
• have you found anything?
• he inquired whether there was anything he could do.
3. used to indicate a range
• I was ready for anything.
• he trains anything from seven to eight hours a day.
1. anything but
not at all (used for emphasis)
• he is anything but racist.
2. anything like ——
[with negative] — at all like —— (used for emphasis)
• it doesn’t taste anything like wine.
3. (as) —— as anything
‹informal› extremely ——
• she said it out loud, clear as anything.
4. or anything
[usu. with negative or in questions] —
‹informal› added as a general reference to other things similar to the thing mentioned
• no strings attached, you don’t have to join up or anything.