adverb 1. used to confirm or support a point or idea just mentioned • I told you, it’s all right, and anyway, it was my fault
• it’s too late now anyway.
2. used in questions to emphasize the speaker’s wish to obtain the truth • ‘What are you doing here, anyway?’.
3. used to end a conversation, to change the subject, or to resume a subject after interruption • ‘Anyway, Dot, I must dash.’.
4. used to pass over less significant aspects of an account in order to focus on what is important • ‘Poor John always enjoyed a drink. Anyway, he died last year.’.
5. used to indicate that something happened or will happen in spite of something else • nobody invited Miss Honey to sit down but she sat down anyway.