I. verb — [no obj.] 1. come into sight; become visible or noticeable, especially without apparent cause • smoke appeared on the horizon.
2. come into existence or use • the major life forms appeared on earth.
3. be published or offered for sale • the paperback edition didn’t appear for another two years.
4. feature or be shown • the symbol appears in many paintings of the period.
‹informal› arrive at a place
• by ten o’clock Bill still hadn’t appeared.
6. present oneself formally in a court or tribunal • he appeared on six charges of theft.
7. perform publicly in a film, play, etc. • he appeared on Broadway.
8. seem; give the impression of being[with infinitive] • she appeared not to know what was happening
• [with clause]
it appears unlikely that interest rates will fall.
– origin Middle English: from Old French apareir, from Latin apparere, from ad- ‘towards’ + parere ‘come into view’.