I. noun — [ mass noun] 1. recognition and enjoyment of the good qualities of someone or something • I smiled in appreciation
• [ count noun]
he had a fine appreciation of drawing.
2. gratitude • they would be the first to show their appreciation.
3. [ count noun] — a written assessment of an artist or piece of work, typically a favourable one. • a full appreciation of the professor’s life and work will be published in the Scotsman tomorrow.
4. a full understanding of a situation • the bank’s lack of appreciation of their problems.
5. [ mass noun] — increase in monetary value • the appreciation of the dollar against the pound.
– origin late 15th cent.: from French appréciation, from late Latin appretiatio(n-), from the verb appretiare ‘set at a price, appraise’ (see appreciate).