I. adjective 1. relating to water. • animals have eyes adapted to the hues of their aquatic home.
• those who favour cycling or various aquatic sports.
2. (of a plant or animal) growing or living in or near water. • aquatic plants.
• the bay could support aquatic life.
II. noun 1. an aquatic plant or animal, especially one suitable for a pond or aquarium. • water lilies and other deep-water aquatics.
• specialist aquatics suppliers.
2. ( aquatics) — sports played in or on water.
– origin late 15th cent. (in the sense ‘watery, rainy’): from Old French aquatique or Latin aquaticus, from aqua ‘water’.