I. noun 1. a container used to hold or carry things, typically made from interwoven strips of cane or wire. • a shopping basket.
• she dropped the letter into the waste-paper basket.
• a laundry basket.
2. (also shopping basket) — a facility on a website that records items selected by a customer for purchase until the transaction is completed • click on the order button to add a title to your basket.
3. a structure suspended from a hot-air balloon for carrying the crew, equipment, and ballast. 4.
[Finance] a group or range of currencies or investments
• a basket of ten currencies.
[Basketball] a net fixed on a hoop used as the goal.
6. a goal scored. 7.
‹informal› euphemism for bastard (sense 2 of the noun).
• you silly basket.
II. derivatives basketful /ˈbɑːskɪtfʊl / noun
– origin Middle English: from Old French basket, of unknown ultimate origin.