I. past participle of beat. II. adjective
1. having been defeated
2. exhausted and dejected
• last year’s beaten finalist.
3. having been beaten or struck
• he sat feeling old and beaten.
4. (of food) stirred vigorously to a uniform consistency
5. (of metal) shaped by hammering, typically so as to give the surface a dimpled texture.
• he trudged home like a beaten cur.
6. (of precious metal) hammered to form thin foil for ornamental use.
• beaten copper coffee tables.
7. (of a path) well trodden; much used.
• magnificent howdahs covered with beaten gold and silver.
off the beaten track (or path)
in or into an isolated place.
• we tried to find locations slightly off the beaten track.